- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Pilgrimage R.E. coursework
The first 200 words of this essay...
GCSE Coursework - Pilgrimage
What is pilgrimage?
Pilgrimage is an important part of spiritual life for many Christians. Christians see life itself as a journey, coming from God and returning to God. The pilgrim seeks to separate himself from the everyday concerns of the world, and to spend time in the presence of God as he travels to a place of special meaning. A pilgrimage is a symbol that is acted out.
A pilgrimage involves a two-way journey, a journey of the heart towards God through the physical and often uncomfortable journey to a holy place.
The pilgrimage is speaking between God and yourself.
Pilgrimages were first made to sites connected with the life, birth and crucifixion of Jesus. Surviving descriptions of Christian pilgrimages to the Holy Land date from the 4th century, when pilgrimage was encouraged by church fathers like Saint Jerome. Pilgrimages also began to be made to Rome and other sites associated with the Apostles, Saints and Christian martyrs, as well as to places where there have been alleged apparitions of the Virgin Mary.
Back in the Middle-Ages pilgrimages were very popular. Pilgrimage was
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hajj (view all)
- Why do Muslims go on Hajj?
- "Pilgrimages are a waste of time - it would be better t...
- Malcolm X Timeline
- Description of a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem
- Analyse how one personal devotion expresses the beliefs of I...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.