- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Religion in the film: Bend It Like Beckham
The first 200 words of this essay...
Analyse and explain the way in which a religious theme has been dealt with in a film or television drama.
The film we watched was called Bend It like Beckham. It dealt with the religion Sikhism.
In the film Jess, an Asian girl, has a talent for playing football. Her family, who follow the Sikh faith, do not want Jess to play football, and jess naturally wishes to continue playing her favourite sport. After a shopping trip to get clothes for Jess's soon-to-be-married sister Pinky, Jess plays football in a park and is spotted by Jules, a British female who plays for the local female footy team. Jules invites Jess to a training session and Jess takes to it like water. The coach Joe, an Irish bloke, asks Jess to come again. She does so, but is reluctant to wear the shorts - because of a burn scar on her knee. Afterwards she goes to the park and is spotted by her mother - which results in a ban from football, as Jess's father states she should become a "proper woman".
The religious issues in this include the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sikhism (view all)
- Religeous Education - Three Responsibilities
- Describe in detail the wedding ceremonies in Christianity an...
- Explain the importance of a Gurdwara in the life of a Sikh t...
- Guru Nanak.
- Guru Gobind Singh
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.