- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Sikh religion began about 500 years ago in the Punjab region of India (shown on the right). Sikhism was started by a man called Guru Nanak, the title Guru means teacher. He was born at a time in India when Muslims and Hindus were living in the same region but did not get a long well at all, there was conflict and arguments. Sikh religion tells us that at the age of thirty, Guru Nanak went missing and was presumed to have drowned after going for one of his morning baths to a local stream called the Kali Bein, his friend tried to find him and so ordered the whole river to be netted out-he was not found. People had begun to think he was dead but surprisingly three days later he reappeared and would give the same answer to any question asked to him: "There is no Hindu, there is no Muslim" (in Punjabi, "na ko hindu na ko musalman"). It was from this moment that Guru Nanak would begin to spread the teachings of what was then the beginning of Sikhism. He (Guru Nanak) began preaching to others that there should be tolerance of other faiths; it
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sikhism (view all)
- Sikhism - Describe and explain the main features of a Gurdwa...
- Guru Nanak.
- Indira Gandhi and Operation Blue Star.
- The Akalis
- Sikhism Coursework - Describe and explain the main features ...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.