- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
'The factors that led to Luther's reform of the GermanChurchwere not exclusive; the abuses were to be found within the Church in Europe.'Outline the main reasons which led to believe why the Church was in need of reform throughout Europe.
The first 200 words of this essay...
'The factors that led to Luther's reform of the German Church were not exclusive; the abuses were to be found within the Church in Europe.'
Outline the main reasons which led to believe why the Church was in need of reform throughout Europe.
It is fair to say there were numerous reasons suggesting why the Church was in need of reform on a wide-scale degree throughout Europe during Luther's time. Apart from centralised abuses in Rome, concerning the Pope or other members of the higher clergy using their considerable political and spiritual power to their own ends instead of for the good of the Church they claimed to represent. There was corruption at the very grass-roots of religion, at local level churches, where simony, nepotism, and other corrupt practices moved the focus of the Church and its ministers away from the spiritual health of its people and towards a more materialistic view. Also the very representative of the Church in local areas, the priest, was often uneducated in faith, leading the people in a misguided manner until it was on the brink of collapse. Martin Luther, a German, Augustinian monk, recognised many of these failings, and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Places of Worship (view all)
- What influence did religion have on the development of medic...
- English Speech: Terrorism
- Explain why the PresbyterianExperiment of the 1640's and 165...
- Explore the presentation of the theme of religion in "A...
- Did The Christian Church Help Or Hinder Medical Progress?
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.