- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The meaning and significance of baptism for Christians today.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Christianity and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The meaning and significance of baptism for Christians today will be outlined.
Many Christians are baptised to follow the example of Jesus, Jesus was baptised and we should follow how he lived.
As we cannot see Jesus, baptism is a sign of Christ's presence among us.
Baptism is the beginning of the Christians' faith journey to God; the prayers and support of the congregation help the candidate on their journey. This is reflected in baptism.
Christians are baptised because it is the great command of Jesus,
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nation, baptising them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit."
Jesus told his followers to baptise people and the priest or minister uses the same words. The words express a Christian belief in the Holy Trinity.
As Christians we believe that baptism enables us to overcome sin in the world, this is reflected in the Exorcism which takes place in the infant baptism ceremony. We believe that through baptism we are strengthened against temptation, sin and evil. The Oil of Catechumens is an outward sign of this.
In infant baptism
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Baptism (view all)
- There is nothing wrong with being a rich christian
- Describe the Baptism Ceremony.
- Explain the difference between believers Baptism and Infant ...
- An Analysis of How Coppola Uses Editing, Sound and Camerawor...
- 'The similarities between Infant and Adult Baptism outweigh ...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.