- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The short stories "The Test", by Angelica Gibbs, and "The Water Was Dark And It Went Forever Down", by Tim Winton, explore interesting views on life.
The first 200 words of this essay...
English Assessment 1
The short stories "The Test", by Angelica Gibbs, and "The Water Was Dark And It Went Forever Down", by Tim Winton, explore interesting views on life. "The Test" deals with racism and how one black woman called Marian is failed on her driving test simply because the evaluator is racist. "The Water Was Dark and Went Forever Down" is not about racism, but challenges thoughts on living life in the same way as "The Test". The author's use challenging narratives to force the readers to think about what they would do when put in the same situation as the characters of the stories.
As mentioned, "The Test" deals with racism as Marian is failed on her driving assessment for no reason other than the fact that the evaluator is racist. He pays no attention to Marians driving throughout the assessment and only fails her after Marian explodes with anger at the comments being thrown her way by the evaluator. The evaluator then proceeds to put crosses on Marians marking sheet at random so she fails. Marian has been put through this sort of experience before in exactly the same situation and could not handle
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Prejudice and Discrimination (view all)
- Christian beliefs about the ways criminals shoud or should n...
- What is meant by the word 'Racism'?
- Discursive essay on Racism
- Prejudice has been around for a long time and it was from th...
- Explain why the bible is important to Christians
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.