- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Titles of Jesus
The first 200 words of this essay...
1. The Jews expected the Messiah to come as a great warrior king, who would free them from the oppression of the Romans. They were not allowed to express themselves religiously as Jews, and so the Messiah would be the great Jewish leader who would again build Israel up as God's chosen people. Many prophesies of the Old Testament also called him a Son of David, and so a great king like David was expected. Jesus in the Gospel is called 'Son of David' by Blind Bartimaeus, and this is an example of what everyone thought Jesus was.
Jesus did not want himself to be like this because it would mean that he would have come only to free the Jews and make them powerful again, while his actual goal was to spread the love of God to the whole world. We see this when Jesus heals the Syro-Phonecian woman's daughter. She is a Gentile, yet Jesus shows that he comes to help anyone who wants it.
2. Jesus likes to call himself the Son of Man because it keeps the Messianic Secret more than other titles that we see in the gospel. Other names,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Discipleship (view all)
- Discipleship And Mark's Gospel.
- Discipleship - St. Mark's Gospel can tell us a lot about the...
- Mark's Gospel and Discipleship
- What does Discipleship mean to Christians today?
- "It is possible to be a disciple in the modern day worl...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.