- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What Is Hinduism?
The first 200 words of this essay...
WHAT IS HINDUISM?
Hinduism is one of the oldest and largest religious groups in the world. It started thousands of years ago in India, where many followers still live today. Hinduism has not got a founder, but gradually from early beliefs. Now in life there are many different Hindu groups. They may worship the same gods, but they do not share the same beliefs. Ancient Persians first used the name Hindu over 2000 years ago to describe the people living near the River Indus in North India. Modern day Hindus prefer Sanatan Dharma to describe their religion. It means the eternal way of conduct. There are about 700 million Hindus in the world. Most live in India but also other countries including the U.K were around 360,000 Hindus live.
What do Hindu's believe in God?
Most Hindu's are monotheists in that they believe in the existence of one major soul or spirit called Brahman. He does not look like anything but is always around. Many Hindu's call this God.
Brahma- is seen as the creator of the universe and the God of wisdom. His female counterpart is Saraswati the goddess of the art, music and literatore. He
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hinduism (view all)
- Did Gandhi's influence help to achieve Indian Independence q...
- Hinduism is one of the few religions who believe in many god...
- Descriptive Writing
- What are the Beliefs of Hinduism about equality?
- Ancient Greek Medical Association Guide to the Asklepion Te...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.