- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
A-Level Investigation - Rates of Reaction – The Iodine Clock
- Essay length: 4471 words
- Submitted: 11/07/2002
The first 200 words of this essay...
Rates of Reaction - The Iodine Clock
Aim: carry out investigations to determine the rate equation for the oxidation of iodide ions by hydrogen peroxide in acid solution. Investigate the effect of various transition metal catalysts on the reaction rate.
Introduction to research
The research of this project involved investigation of a range of scientific literature available from Oxford University's online science library, various chemistry texts and other Internet sources.
The Iodine clock reaction
This reaction has been used repeatedly down the years in the study of reaction rates. Most famously by Harcourt and Esson in the late 18th - early 19th century. The reaction between hydrogen peroxide and iodide ions is still known as the Harcourt-Esson reaction.
The Iodine Clock reaction can be represented by the half equations:
H2O2 (aq) + I- (aq) --> IO- (aq) + H2O (l) Slow 
IO- (aq) + H3O+ (aq) - HIO (aq) + H2O (l) Fast 
HIO (aq) + H3O+ (aq) + I- (aq) --> I2 (aq) + 2H2O (l) Fast 
2H+ + H2O2 + 2I- --> 2H2O
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- Investigation of the rate of reaction between Magnesium and ...
- In this certain investigation, I will investigate on how I c...
- Find out the effect of concentration on the reaction between...
- Rate of Reaction Chemistry Coursework
- Effect Of Substrate Concentration On The Activity Of Catalas...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate...
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
- Investigating the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid...
- History of the Periodic Table
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.