- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
A reaction between Hydrochloric Acid and Magnesium ribbon.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Chemistry and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
In a reaction between Hydrochloric Acid and Magnesium ribbon, the Hydrochloric Acid will dissolve the Magnesium ribbon and produce Hydrogen gas.
All chemical reactions involve reactants which when mixed may cause a chemical reaction which will make products.
In case the reactants are hydrochloric acid and magnesium ribbon. The chemical reaction takes place when the magnesium ribbon is dropped into the hydrochloric acid. The products that are formed during this reaction are hydrogen gas and magnesium chloride.
The formula equation for this experiment is:
Mg + 2HCl MgCl2 + H2
The word Equation for this experiment is:
Magnesium + Hydrochloric acid Magnesium Chloride + Hydrogen
(s) (aq) (aq) (g)
Magnesium will react with hydrochloric acid, because it is higher in the reactivity series that hydrogen. When the two chemicals react a displacement reaction will take place and the magnesium will displace the hydrogen in the hydrochloric acid forming magnesium chloride and hydrogen gas.
Depending on certain factors the rate that this reaction will take place will either increase or decrease. The factors that may affect the rate of reaction are as follows:
* Temperature of the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- Investigation on how long a candle burns under a glass beake...
- Investigate the affect of temperature of sodium thiosulfate ...
- When Sodium Thiosulphate and dilute Hydrochloric acid react ...
- Rusting Lab. Hypothesis: I think that the presence of salt ...
- Marble Chips and Hydrochloric Acid.
- Experiment Plan. How much energy is transferred as heat whe...
- How does the concentration of HCl affect the rate of reacti...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate...
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.