- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Acid Rain and its effects on the Taj Mahal
- Essay length: 781 words
- Submitted: 15/01/2013
- Awarding body: Not known/Not applicable
The first 200 words of this essay...
ï»¿Definition of Acid Rain
1. Precipitation that has a pH of less than that of natural rainwater (which is about 5.6 due to dissolved carbon dioxide).
2. It is formed when sulphur dioxides and nitrogen oxides, as gases or fine particles in the atmosphere, combine with water vapor and precipitate as sulphuric acid or nitric acid in rain, snow, or fog.
Causes of Acid Rain
1. Emissions from volcanoes and from biological processes that occur on the land, in wetlands, and in the oceans contribute acid-producing gases to the atmosphere
2. Effects of acidic deposits have been detected in glacial ice thousands of years old in remote parts of the globe
3. The principal cause of acid rain is from human sources
4. Industrial factories, power-generating plants and vehicles
5. Sulphur dioxide and oxides of nitrogen are released during the fuel burning process (i.e. combustion)
1. Industrial acid rain is a substantial problem in China, Eastern Europe and Russia and areas down-wind from them.
2. Acid rain from power plants in the Midwest United States has also harmed
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Changing Materials - The Earth and its Atmosphere (view all)
- How are products from oil obtained and used?
- An investigation to see how voltage affects The electrolysis...
- OCR Coursework Investigation
- Extraction of Metals.
- Extracting Copper from Malachite
- Are Electric Cars better for the Environment?
- The Earth's Atmosphere and Air Pollution
- Chemistry- Earth, its structure and atmosphere
- Causes of Global Warming
- Why is Aluminium utilised in the contemporary world, for the...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'