- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Algae as an Alternative Energy Source
The first 200 words of this essay...
The United States has been faced with a shortage of fossil fuels and needs to find an alternative energy source. An ecologically friendly and abundant source of alternative fuel comes from biodiesel. One method of obtaining biodiesel is the extraction of oil from microalgae. We wanted to find which species of microalgae are the most efficient producers of oil at optimal conditions. To answer this question, six microalgal strains were obtained for testing. These microalgal strains were P. tricornutum, D. primolecta, M. salina, T. suecia, Isochrysis and B. braunii. The six microalgae species were grown in seawater that was enriched with nitrogen, phosphorous and trace metals. The microalgae was contained within six Plexiglas vessels, 5 cm thick, 39 cm deep and 24 cm wide. A 2,000 watt Tungsten-halide lamp was placed at the side of each Plexiglas vessels, with varying intensity. The intensity, measured in percent, was in comparison to the normal California sun. The lamps were placed behind a water/CuSO4 thermal heater. The algae was then cultured for forty to ninety days. In the beginning of the experiment, the microalgae cultures were maintained in batch mode but later on they were cultured into continuous and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Living Things in their Environment (view all)
- I will be answering the question: is animal testing right or...
- Research question - Is using dogs for work ethical?
- Does Traffic Pollution Cause Asthma?
- Movement in Plants and Animals.
- A2 Biology Coursework -Investigation into the effect of diff...
- Describe examples of adaptations to the environment shown ...
- Overfishing - The End Of The Line
- To deal with the problem of overpopulation caused by overbre...
- Is eating the best solution to deal with over-breeding speci...
- Where are all the bees?
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.