- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
An experiment to investigate the factors that determine the amount of energy released when alcohols are burned.
- Essay length: 4604 words
- Submitted: 13/11/2003
The first 200 words of this essay...
An experiment to investigate the factors that determine the amount of energy released when alcohols are burned
By Khalid Attia
Statement of Problem
In this investigation, I will be investigating all of the factors that determine the amount of energy released when any given alcohol is burnt.
In this investigation, there are many different variables that will affect the amount of energy produced when alcohols are burnt. These variables are called the Input Variables and they are the following:
1) Number of Carbon atoms present (type of alcohol)
2) Concentration of alcohol (purity)
3) Amount of alcohol (volume or mass)
4) Oxygen supply (for combustion)
Each of these variables will affect the amount of energy produced when an
alcohol is burnt in similar ways but some variables have a larger affect than others, therefore choosing the right one is essential.
If the number of carbon atoms in the alcohol is increased, its molecular structure will be larger. This can be seen from this general equation - CnH2n+1OH. When combustion is complete, carbon dioxide and water are
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Organic Chemistry (view all)
- Methods of Removal of Hardness in Water
- Relationship between the increasing length of the carbon cha...
- Investigating the rate of reaction between magnesium and hyd...
- Hydrolysis of an Ester
- First aid project - treating common injuries in the laborato...
- Formation of Aspirin
- Vitamin C Investigation.
- Fertilisers are substances that supply plant nutrients or co...
- Compare and Contrast the properties and reactions of Butane ...
- GCSE Chemistry Revision Notes - everything!
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.