- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
An experiment to show osmosis in potato chips in different concentrations of sucrose solution - also investigating how potato chips change in volume and weight when placed in different concentrations of sucrose solution
- Essay length: 3237 words
- Submitted: 06/08/2003
- Marked by teacher: Stephanie Wells
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Factors affecting osmosis in potato tissue
I am going to design and modify an experiment used to show osmosis in potato chips in different concentrations of sucrose solution. I am also going to investigate on how potato chips change in volume and weight when placed in different concentrations of sucrose solution. I will also conduct a preliminary experiment before my final experiment.
To investigate the effect of different concentration of sucrose solution on potato chips.
I would expect the potato chips to turn flaccid when they are placed in a strong sucrose solution because the water from within the cells will diffuse out leaving the potato flaccid. The potato chips left in the weak sucrose solutions should turn turgid in a weak sucrose solution, due to the water being absorbed by osmosis into the cells of the potatoes, this will make the potato chip larger in size. I should also be able to find some potato chips, which have neither increased nor decreased in size because the concentration in the potato is the same as the sucrose solution, so no mass or length would be gained or lost.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- The effect of temperature on the rate of an enzyme-catalysed...
- Finding out the effect of osmosis on potato chips at differe...
- Investigate the effect of potato on hydrogen peroxide
- Osmosis in Potato Cells
- Planning Experimental Procedures - Osmosis Experiment.
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
- Science Biology Revision Notes - Nutrition in plants and the...
- Osmosis in potato cell lab report
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.