- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
An investigation into factors that effect the braking distance of a trolley
The first 200 words of this essay...
An investigation into factors that effect the braking distance of a trolley.
(1) Skill Area P: Planning Experimental Procedures
To investigate factors, which determine the stopping distance of a trolley accelerating down a ramp.
When a car is situated at the top of ramp, we say it has gravitational potential energy. When the car travels down the ramp, the gravitational potential energy is transferred to kinetic energy, so therefore
(Kinetic Energy = 1/2 x mass x velocity²)
At the bottom of the ramp work has to be done in order to stop the car; so therefore
Work Done = Braking Force x Braking Distance
Also, this must be equivalent to the original energy of the car, which was gravitational potential. So, assuming no other loss of energy:
Potential Energy = Kinetic Energy = Work Done
When a mass is raised and there are no opposing forces acting upon it, the potential energy gained will be converted to kinetic energy as it falls back to earth due to the gravitational pull. The potential energy gained must
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Forces and Motion (view all)
- Dropping ball-bearing of various diameters into a viscous li...
- "What factors effect friction?"
- The factors which effect the speed of a falling object
- Investigate to see if adding mass to a cupcake case will inc...
- Physics Investigation: The effect of speed on braking distan...
- Controlled Assesment Experiment - The extension of a rubber ...
- Medical Effects of Roller coasters
- Determining Gravity with a Pendulum
- Car Safety - Crumple Zones
- Physics Pendulum Practical. How does the time period vary wi...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.