- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
An investigation into the effect of changing concentration of a substrate on an enzyme controlled reaction.
The first 200 words of this essay...
An investigation into the effect of changing concentration of a substrate on an enzyme controlled reaction
My aim is to plan, investigate, analyse and evaluate the effect of varying the concentration of hydrogen peroxide in the reaction with potato catalase by measuring the Volume of oxygen produced.
Catalase releases oxygen from hydrogen peroxide (H202) and is used in the making of foam rubber from latex. Many kinds of enzymes are found in each cell but because they are used over and over there may be only a small amount of each enzyme present. Catalase is found in both plant and animal tissues. In animal cells, catalase is found in liver cells, as the liver is the organ responsible from removing toxic wastes from the body. Such wastes include alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. Catalase accelerates the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide (H202) into water (H2O) and oxygen (O2). The chemical equation for this reaction is:
2H2O2 Catalase 2H2O + O2.
Enzymes are biological catalysts; they speed up chemical reactions, which would otherwise be very slow and they are always proteins. Several factors affect the action
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- Investigation of the rate of reaction between Magnesium and ...
- In this certain investigation, I will investigate on how I c...
- Find out the effect of concentration on the reaction between...
- Rate of Reaction Chemistry Coursework
- Effect Of Substrate Concentration On The Activity Of Catalas...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate...
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
- Investigating the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid...
- History of the Periodic Table
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student