- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Colorimetric Determination of Manganese in Steel
The first 200 words of this essay...
Spectrophotometric Determination of Manganese in Steel
The aim of this experiment was to determine the average percentage concentration of manganese in steel. This is useful when it is necessary to determine the strength of the steel.
Spectrophotometric analysis was used in this experiment. This is a technique that can be successfully used to determine the concentrations of coloured substances in solution.
It works on the basis that a coloured substance absorbs light of a colour complementary to its own and also that the amount of light absorbed is proportional to the substance's concentration.Spectrophotometric analysis was relevant in this experiment because the permanganate ions that are formed from the manganese were coloured, allowing spectrophotometry to be used to work out the absorbance by absorbing all the other colours other than the colour of the permanganate ions.
The conversion of the manganese into permanganate ions took place in two stages. Firstly, the manganese was oxidised to manganese ions using the oxidising agent, nitric acid:
3 Mn (s) + 2 NO3- (aq) + 8 H+ (aq) --> 3 Mn2+ (aq) + 2 NO (g) + 4 H20 (l)
Then the manganese
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Aqueous Chemistry (view all)
- pH Lab Report - testing household liquids
- Science Investigation Report - Aim To investigate how the v...
- An investigation into the factors affecting the temperature ...
- Rate of Reaction between Sodium Thiosulphate and Dilute Hydr...
- Find the solubility of potassium nitrate in water at differe...
- Precipitation of Salts & Identification of Unknown Solut...
- Separation Of A Mixture of Salt, Sand and Iron Filings
- Decomposing Malachite. Purpose: To test the assumption that...
- How does temperature affect the dissolving rate of a sugar c...
- AIM: To study the effect of solid impurities on boiling poin...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.