- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Combustion of Alcohol.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Chemistry and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Combustion of Alcohol
This experiment is based on the combustion of alcohols. In alcohol there are different amounts of carbon. We will be burning the alcohols to see weather the amount of carbon affects the energy given out. Combustion is basically a reaction of a fuel with oxygen creating heat. I know that the reactions in this experiment will be exothermic because they will give out heat. Therefore energy is produced by the reaction.
To find out weather the amount of carbon in alcohols affect the amount of energy given out when the alcohol is burnt. We will see how much it heats up water and then we will figure out the amount of energy produced then how much energy produced per mole. The alcohols that I will be using will be: propan-1-ol, butan-1-ol, ethan-1-ol, methan-1-ol and pentan-1-ol.
I predict that the more carbon in an alcohol then the more energy released. I believe this because the alcohol with more carbon means that more bonds have to be broken, this would require more energy to break the many bonds whereas, if there were less carbons then not as much energy
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Organic Chemistry (view all)
- Methods of Removal of Hardness in Water
- Esters. Esters are formed from an alcohol and carboxylic ac...
- Investigating the rate of reaction between magnesium and hyd...
- Relationship between the increasing length of the carbon cha...
- How Does The Increase In The Length Of The Carbon Chain Affe...
- Formation of Aspirin
- Vitamin C Investigation.
- Fertilisers are substances that supply plant nutrients or co...
- Compare and Contrast the properties and reactions of Butane ...
- GCSE Chemistry Revision Notes - everything!
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.