- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Culturing Bacteria Making the Agar Gel and pouring it into the Petri dishes
The first 200 words of this essay...
Making the Agar Gel and pouring it into the Petri dishes
Agar Gel ingredients:
* BOVRIL beef extract
* Peptone powder
* Bacteriological Agar
* Distilled Water
I will also need:
1. A pressure cooker
2. A stirrer
3. A beaker
First, sterilize the equipment by placing in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes. Mix these ingredients together and leave in a pressure cooker. Then, pour into Petri dish, and allow it to cool until the liquid agar solution solidifies.
1. Inoculating Loop - To apply the inoculum (the bacteria) to the surface of the agar gel in the Petri dish.
2. Bunsen burner - To flame the tops and necks of containers and to heat the tip of the inoculating loop in order to sterilize it.
3. Inoculum - The bacteria that will grow on the Petri dish.
4. Petri dish - Contains agar that will be the growth medium for the bacteria. Can be sealed by closing the lid and taping around it.
5. Sticky tape - to close the lid on the sides so that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Living Things in their Environment (view all)
- An Investigation into a Woodlice's Preferred Choice of Envir...
- Investigating the habitat of woodlice.
- The importance uses of micro organisms.
- Australian Ectotherms & Endotherms
- Explain what is meant by thermal pollution and discuss the i...
- To deal with the problem of overpopulation caused by overbre...
- Is eating the best solution to deal with over-breeding speci...
- Where are all the bees?
- Dissecting an Owl Pellet Lab
- The aim is to record the data growth of Duckweed and see wha...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.