- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Determination of the solubility of calcium hydroxide.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Determination of the solubility
of calcium hydroxide
I am aiming to determine the solubility of calcium hydroxide. Calcium hydroxide is an alkali and limewater is a saturated solution of it, therefore I can titrate it against an acid of whose concentration I know. Using this information I will be able to accurately estimate the concentration of the calcium hydroxide solution. I will be provided with limewater, which has an approximate concentration of 0.015 mol dm-3 and a solution of hydrochloric acid which has a known concentration of 0.3 mol dm-3. The concentration of the acid is too high so it will need to be diluted.
Concentration of the acid
Hydrochloric Acid + Limewater --> Calcium Chloride + Water
Ca(OH)2 + 2HCl --> 2CaCl + 2H2O
By observing the above equation I know that the calcium hydroxide reacts with the HCl in the ration 1:2, with the concentrations of the solutions at 0.015 and 0.3 mol dm-3 the ratio is 1:20 which means the reaction will take place far too fast to find an accurate end point. Therefore I am going to dilute the acid with
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Aqueous Chemistry (view all)
- ANALYSIS OF ASPIRIN BY BACK TITRATION
- Back Titration Lab Report. In my experiment, I hoped to find...
- pH Lab Report - testing household liquids
- Conductivity Lab. Purpose: To determine which substances a...
- Planning an Investigation To Determine The Effectiveness of ...
- Plan to investigate the factors that affect the rate of reac...
- Precipitation of Salts & Identification of Unknown Solut...
- Separation Of A Mixture of Salt, Sand and Iron Filings
- Decomposing Malachite. Purpose: To test the assumption that...
- How does temperature affect the dissolving rate of a sugar c...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.