• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Experiment to show the rate of photosynthesis with different light intensities

Extracts from this document...


Experiment to show the rate of photosynthesis with different light intensities Aim: My aim is to find out the different rates of photosynthesis with different light intensities. Prediction: Number Of Bubbles Distance From Plant As shown in the graph I think as the distance from the plant increases the number of bubbles will decrease. This is due to the light intensity increasing, as it gets closer. Method: Take the following apparatus: Measuring Cylinder, Glass Beaker, Funnel, Lamp, Canadian Pondweed (Elodea), Metre stick. Method cont. Take a glass beaker and fill it with water, place the pondweed (Canadian) in the beaker under the funnel. Fill the measuring cylinder with water, and place over the neck of the funnel (as shown in the diagram). The cylinder needs to be filled with water so that when the oxygen comes out the funnel the gas push the water out. This is how we get pure oxygen in the measuring cylinder. ...read more.


Light-absorbing pigments, notably chlorophyll, found in chloroplasts, are essential to the process, which can be carried out only by green plants and photosynthetic bacteria. Plants are the main source of atmospheric oxygen, released as a by-product of photosynthesis. The sun shines through the leave while the tiny pours in the surface called the stomata absorb the carbon dioxide and then it uses it to make starchy substances and the it releases oxygen. Plants help to prevent the green house effect due to the taking in of greenhouse gases and making them into oxygen. Carbon Dioxide + Water ==> Carbohydrate + Oxygen 6CO2 + 6H20 ==> C6H12O6+ 6O2 Requirerments for photosynthisis : Light, Chlorophyll, Carbon dioxide, Water. Preliminary Work : This work was done to find out what was the better way to do the experiment. First of all i was going to do my experiment on the volume of oxygen givin off by the Elodea. ...read more.


Evaluation : The procedure used would have been different to that the one i did if i hadnt of carried out my preliminary work. On the whole the experiment i did was very good and i pulled it off fine. The room could have been darker and the light brighter but as it was the experiment was all ok. There were no major problems with the procedure. When i added up the average number of bubbles i came to realise there was a anomalous result on the final experiment. This could have been with the light the temprature or anything. I could have improved the reliablity of the results by either having the room darker and the light brighter as i have already said. Overall i think the evidence i have gained is suffiecent enough to come to the conclusion like the one above. In the future if i do the expriment again i am to follow the exact same procedure but with a darker room. The experiment has been very succesful and next time i wouldnt change it dramatically. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Green Plants as Organisms section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related GCSE Green Plants as Organisms essays

  1. Peer reviewed

    An Investigation into the Effects that Different Light Intensities have on the Speed of ...

    5 star(s)

    The distance of each path was then measured, using a ruler and the formula: Speed = distance/ time was employed so that the speed of each woodlouse could be calculated. Analysis: Results Table: Distance (mm) Speed (mm/s) Light Intensity (lux)

  2. Experiment to Compare Stomata Density in Different Dicotyledonous

    in the preliminary experiment I did conclude that the stomata density of a leaf was on the lower epidermis I have decided to continue to look at the upper and lower epidermis to make sure that this stomata density doesn't change with different plants.

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work