- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Find out what type of things affect the rate of osmosis in plants for example, temperature and time.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Biology coursework, Osmosis
To find out what type of things affect the rate of osmosis in plants for example, temperature and time.
I will do this using a piece of potato submerged in different amounts of sugar solution and record any changes in mass.
Osmosis is the movement of water molecules across a partially permeable membrane from a region of high water concentration to a region of low concentration. Therefore I predict that the potato in the highest sugar solution will have the lowest water concentration and the weakest sugar solution will have the highest water concentration. This is due to the fact that in high sugar solutions the water leaves the cells due to osmosis making the potato lighter.
Plant cell Animal cell
Osmosis is just a form of diffusion it means the movement of water molecules across a partially permeable membrane from a region of HIGH water concentration to a region of LOW water concentration.
Osmosis makes plant cells swell up if they are surrounded by a weak solution and they become turgid. This is useful to the plant cells as it
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- Investigation into the effects of osmosis on Potato cells
- Experiment To Investigate The Factors Affecting The Rate Of ...
- Energy content of foods
- Investigating the effect of Sucrose Concentration on the Rat...
- An experiment to show osmosis in potato chips in different c...
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
- Science Biology Revision Notes - Nutrition in plants and the...
- Osmosis in potato cell lab report
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.