- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
In the United Kingdom we have one of the highest death rates from heart disease in the world; every three minutes one British adult dies from the disease. (1)
The above statement clearly outlines how serious a problem heart disease is in the UK, but before one can begin to understand heart disease and how it affects the heart and cardiovascular system in the body one must first understand how the heart and related systems work.
The heart is found directly in the centre of the chest, directly behind the sternum and is surrounded by the pericardial cavity. It is roughly fist size and beats around 100,000 times every day, pumping roughly 8000 litres of blood (2). The heart is part of a system called the cardiovascular system that transports cells, nutrients wastes and gasses to and from the various cells and organs of the body. The circulatory system can be subdivided into two further parts; the pulmonary circuit which carries blood to and from the lungs and the systemic circuit which carries blood to and from the body. Carrying blood away from the heart are arteries and veins return blood to the heart. In
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Humans as Organisms (view all)
- Biology notes
- The Biological and Psychological Impact of Smoking Cigarette...
- Biology Revision notes - Human Biology
- Enzymes Essay; Enzymes used in the Baby Food industry
- The cardiovascular and lymphatic system
- Premature Babies
- Genetic Diseases
- Human Circulatory System Revision Notes.
- The thyroid gland.
- Why is vaccination recommended if it can cause side effects?
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.