- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How did Leamington develop into a typical spa town of the mid nineteenth century?
- Essay length: 4624 words
- Submitted: 23/10/2003
The first 200 words of this essay...
Q1: How did Leamington develop into a typical spa town of the mid nineteenth century?
A typical spa town is known to be a place where mainly wealthy people would come to consume the towns spa water as a laxative. After taking the water the people would take a long stroll along the main street known as the "parade" or "promenade" or maybe go to the gardens to find suitable marriage partners.
To be given the proud name of a "spa town" the town would need to have all these essentials; firstly the most important is the own supply of water in the form of springs, wells and numerous baths and the pump rooms. The entertainment facilities would have to include a theatre and assembly rooms. There would need to be walkways and a main street along with gardens. There would have to be Georgian/Pilladian/ Regency architecture on all the main streets. Because spa towns would have attracted a lot of tourism there would need to be many houses to accomodate everyone, that would usually be found in circuses, crescents, sqaures and terraces. There would also be a need for grand hotels. Churches would also be a main
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Green Plants as Organisms (view all)
- What affect does the length of cooking time have on the vita...
- Yeast Investigation
- Biology Lab Report. Does light intensity affect the rate of...
- Testing a leaf for starch experiment
- Investigate effectiveness of a biological washing powder.
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of cloning plants?
- Osmosis investigation. My prediction is that as the concent...
- Which seed will germinate faster a corn or bean in tap water...
- What is photosynthesis? Experiments that discovered the pro...
- Experiment Report on Best Fertilisers
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Zoey. University Student.