- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In this investigation I will observe the effect a concentrated sugar solution has on the rate of osmosis in a plant. The vegetable I have chosen for this experiment is a potato.
The first 200 words of this essay...
In this investigation I will observe the effect a concentrated sugar solution has on the rate of osmosis in a plant. The vegetable I have chosen for this experiment is a potato. I have soaked them in several concentrations of sucrose, firstly 0.2, 0.4 and 0.6and then the class concentrations of 0.2, 0.3, 0.35, 0.4, 0.5 and 0.6. These are the results I will analyse. Hopefully using this method I will be bale to observe osmosis at work.
Osmosis is the diffusion of water from a region on which they are in a high concentration to a region where the water molecules have a low concentration. They diffuse through a semi-permeable surface, the potato has a semi-permeable surface making it ideal to use.
Varying Concentrations of Sucrose
1. Use the potato borer to cut several 2cm long cylinder shaped pieces of potato.
2. Record the weight and length of the pieces.
3. Soak the potato pieces in the concentrations of sucrose (0.2, 0.3, 0.35, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6 and water) in a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- Energy content of foods
- Investigation into the effects of osmosis on Potato cells
- Investigating the effect of Sucrose Concentration on the Rat...
- The effect of temperature on the rate of an enzyme-catalysed...
- Agar Jelly Experiment Report
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
- Science Biology Revision Notes - Nutrition in plants and the...
- Osmosis in potato cell lab report
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.