- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In this investigation the aim is to find out whether the concentration of hydrogen peroxide affects the rate at which catalase breaks it down.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Aim: In this investigation the aim is to find out whether the concentration of hydrogen peroxide affects the rate at which catalase breaks it down.
Prediction: If we firstly see what a catalyst is, Catalyst is one of the factors which affect the speed of a reaction. Enzyme is one type of catalyst and catalase is an example of enzyme, which I will be using in my experiment. Enzymes work because they cover in active sites, which is more specific about molecules they will allow to stick on. It is often describe as a lock and key mechanism. In this experiment the lock is the catalase enzyme and the key is hydrogen peroxide. So increasing the concentration of hydrogen peroxide will increase the rate of catalase reaction because the laws of the kinetic theory states; that if there are less atoms (decreasing hydrogen peroxide concentration) there will be less collisions because it takes more time for catalase to catalyse the reaction below (fig 1.). It is expected that the time taken for oxygen to evolve will increase as the hydrogen peroxide becomes less concentrated (i.e. By increasing addition of water) (look at results table)
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- Investigation into the effects of osmosis on Potato cells
- Experiment To Investigate The Factors Affecting The Rate Of ...
- Energy content of foods
- Hydrogen peroxide reacting with potato to produce oxygen and...
- Investigating Osmosis Using Potato Cylinders
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
- Science Biology Revision Notes - Nutrition in plants and the...
- Osmosis in potato cell lab report
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.