- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In this investigation we are going to measure the rate of reaction of marble and HCl when the concentration or surface area of marble is changed.
- Essay length: 3941 words
- Submitted: 25/03/2012
- Marked by teacher: Cornelia Bruce
The first 200 words of this essay...
Chemistry Coursework-Investigation on the rate of reaction between HCl (Hydrochloric acid) and Marble (Calcium Carbonate - CaCO3)
Aim: In this investigation we are going to measure the rate of reaction of marble and HCl when the concentration or surface area of marble is changed.
Introduction: A rate of reaction is the speed at which reactants become an end product. For a reaction to happen, the particles that are reacting have to collide. If they collide, with enough energy and pressure, then they will react. There are several factors that affect the rate of reaction.
Firstly temperature will affect the rate of reaction; if the temperature is cold the particles will move more slowly, with less energy resulting in a slower reaction. However in a hot temperature the particles move more quickly, they collide more with more energy, creating a faster rate of reaction.
Secondly concentration will affect it, the lower the concentration the more spread out the particles, so they will collide less and create a slower rate of reaction.
Thirdly using a catalyst can be used to speed up a reaction, without it being changed. The factor that we will be investigating
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- How varying the concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide changes t...
- Investigating the rate of reaction between sodium thiosulpha...
- Rates of reaction of Sodium Thiosulphate with Hydrochloric A...
- An investigation into how concentration effects the reaction...
- Effect Of Substrate Concentration On The Activity Of Catalas...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate...
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
- Investigating the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid...
- History of the Periodic Table
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.