- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Investigate how osmosis affects the weight of potato strips.
The first 200 words of this essay...
To investigate how osmosis affects the weight of potato strips.
Diffusion occurs when there is a high concentration of molecules in one place and a low concentration in another. This difference in concentration is known as a Concentration Gradient. Osmosis is a type of diffusion when water molecules move from a high sucrose concentration to a low sucrose concentration through a semi-permeable membrane.
A cell membrane surrounds all cells. A membrane is very thin and forms a boundary between cells and their surroundings. Cell surface membranes control the amount of molecules moving in and out of the cell. They are partially permeable, which means they only allow small molecules through like water, oxygen and carbon dioxide and do not let bigger molecules pass through.
The diagram above shows how small water molecules will pass through visking tubing but bigger molecules will not pass through. The water molecules will go to a more concentrated solution but because the sugar will not pass through the visking tube, the water will try and balance out the molecules present in the water. The visking tubing will then expand to allow more water
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- Investigating Enzymes and the effects of different variables...
- The Journey of a cheese sandwich
- Osmosis in Potatoes Lab. At which concentration of sucrose ...
- Investigate the effect of surface area on osmosis in potato ...
- Energy content of foods
- Biology-2 QWC Practice Questions & Answers
- To investigate whether the concentration of substrate (starc...
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.