- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Investigate the effect of temperature on the rate of reaction for the enzyme amylase.
- Essay length: 2288 words
- Submitted: 18/03/2004
The first 200 words of this essay...
Enzymes are found in the body and are used for the digestion of different food molecules.
Amylase breaks down Starch to glucose while other enzymes break down other food molecules.
I am experimenting to investigate the effect of temperature on the rate of reaction for the enzyme amylase.
Some enzymes function best at 37oC, which is body temperature. This is a proven theory for the enzyme amylase. If the temperature is above or below 37oC these enzymes function slower, and therefore take more time to break down these food molecules. However, at very high temperatures enzymes change shape and no longer carry out their function, they are said to be denatured. This is why I am testing to see how temperature affects the rate of reaction in detail. Amylase is also known as carbohydrase as used in the diagram below. (Diagram from http://www.gcsescience.com)
Amount of Glucose Present.
This is the dependent variable of my experiment I will test this using iodine to display if there is glucose present. I will test this after the amylase has had enough time to break down the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- Investigation on how long a candle burns under a glass beake...
- Investigate the affect of temperature of sodium thiosulfate ...
- When Sodium Thiosulphate and dilute Hydrochloric acid react ...
- Rusting Lab. Hypothesis: I think that the presence of salt ...
- Investigating the rate of reaction between potassium mangana...
- Experiment Plan. How much energy is transferred as heat whe...
- How does the concentration of HCl affect the rate of reacti...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate...
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.