- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
'Investigating how isotonic, hypertonic and hypotonic solutions affects the total mass of a potato chip".
- Essay length: 3918 words
- Submitted: 13/01/2004
The first 200 words of this essay...
OSMOSIS IN POTATO CHIPS
'Investigating how isotonic, hypertonic and hypotonic solutions affects the total mass of a potato chip"
To find out how changing the concentration of salt solution affects the total mass of potato chips, placed in it. So we are investigating the movement of Osmosis through a selectively permeable membrane, in this case potato.
I am carrying out an investigation regarding Osmosis in potato chips. In order to conduct my investigation I will need to fully understand all the background information I know. Using secondary sources such as textbooks, CD Roms, library, class notes and the Internet.
Isotonic: The solutions being compared have equal concentrations of solutes. E.g. 20ml water + 20ml salt sol.
Hypertonic: The solution with the higher concentration of solutes.
Hypotonic: The solution with the lower concentration of solutes.
Osmotic pressure: Diffusion of water across a membrane - osmosis generates a pressure called Osmotic pressure.
Osmolarity: Used to describe the number of solute particles in a volume of fluid.
Plants in general
Plants need water to grow. Plants use water to aid them
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- The Effect of pH on Catalase
- Investigating Enzymes and the effects of different variables...
- Investigating the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide by the enzy...
- Osmosis in Potatoes Lab. At which concentration of sucrose ...
- How does the concentration of salt solution affect osmosis i...
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
- Science Biology Revision Notes - Nutrition in plants and the...
- Osmosis in potato cell lab report
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.