- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid and calcium carbonate (marble chips)
- Essay length: 3041 words
- Submitted: 08/02/2013
- Awarding body: Edexcel (for GCSEs)
The first 200 words of this essay...
ï»¿Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid and calcium carbonate (marble chips)
As the concentration of acid increases, the rate of reaction between marble chips and hydrochloric acid increases.
The higher the concentration of acid, the more often collisions between marble chip particles and hydrochloric acid particles will occur. By increasing the concentration per unit volume of acid, there are more hydrochloric acid particles than water particles so marble chip particles can react frequently therefore increasing the frequency of collisions. This would make it more likely to get successful collisions. These factors would increase the rate of reaction.
According to the collision theory, reactant particles have to collide in order for a reaction to start. However not all the collisions are successful and if there is not sufficient energy, the molecules will simply rebound. I expect the rate of reaction to be proportional to the concentration of acid in the first few minutes if the practical, e.g. doubling the concentrations of the acid should double the rate of reaction; therefore my results should show that the reaction rate at concentration 1.0mol is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- Concentration and rates of reaction - "Disappearing cro...
- Determining the Enthalpy Change of the Decomposition of Calc...
- Investigation on how long a candle burns under a glass beake...
- Investigating the Breathing Rates of Locusts.
- Science Coursework
- Experiment Plan. How much energy is transferred as heat whe...
- How does the concentration of HCl affect the rate of reacti...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
- Investigating the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.