- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Investigating Seed Germination. Hypothesis If there is water, oxygen and a suitable temperature in the surroundings, then the seed will germinate.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
SSIS MYP Programme
Science Investigation Report
Investigating Seed Germination
Name: Kimberly Hoong Yearn Yi
Class: S4 Ruby
To investigate how the following conditions: presence of water, presence of oxygen, and the temperature would affect the germination of a seed.
If there is water, oxygen and a suitable temperature in the surroundings, then the seed will germinate.
A seed is an embryonic plant in a resting condition after the development of the embryo in the ovule of the plant stops. Water is then lost and the seed enters a state of dormancy, where its metabolic activities are suspended until germination takes place. In order for germination to occur, water, oxygen and a suitable temperature must be present.
Water must be present, because it is what sets off the metabolic activity inside the seed. Water is taken up by a process called imbibition and is needed for the metabolism of the seed as well as for breaking the seed coat by making the seed swell. With water and all other conditions (oxygen, suitable temperature) present, germination commences with the uptake of water by imbibition of the dry seed, followed by embryo
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Living Things in their Environment (view all)
- Investigating the habitat of woodlice.
- Investigating the effect of four antibiotic agents on gram p...
- Branded Bleach is more effective at killing E. coli than Non...
- DISCUSS THE CONCEPT OF HOMEOSTASIS PARTICULARLY IN RELATION ...
- An Investigation into a Woodlice's Preferred Choice of Envir...
- To deal with the problem of overpopulation caused by overbre...
- Is eating the best solution to deal with over-breeding speci...
- Where are all the bees?
- Dissecting an Owl Pellet Lab
- The aim is to record the data growth of Duckweed and see wha...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.