- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Investigating the effect of four antibiotic agents on gram positive and gram negative bacteria.
- Essay length: 7321 words
- Submitted: 05/04/2004
The first 200 words of this essay...
Investigating the effect of four antibiotic agents on gram positive and gram negative bacteria
To find out how four antibiotic agents- Penicillin G, Streptomycin, fresh garlic and odourless garlic- effect gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. The two different bacteria used will be Bacillus subtilis and Escherichia coli. After transferring the antibiotics to the bacteria I will be able to look for zones of inhibition in the bacteria where the antibiotic agents were placed.
Scientific knowledge & understanding
Bacteria are prokaryotes, which means they are organisms that lack a nuclei and are a lot smaller in volume than Eukaryotes (animals, plants, fungi & protoctists), on average only 0.5-5 m in diameter. Bacteria are a lot simpler in their structure. Structures always found in bacteria include a cell wall, plasma membrane, cytoplasm, ribosomes and circular DNA. Other structures that are present in some bacteria can be shown in the diagram below.
Bacteria can be found almost anywhere as different types have different optimum temperatures e.g. Thermophilic bacteria work best at temperatures above 45 C whereas Psychrophilic bacteria grow best at temperatures below 20 C. Bacteria can also be identified by their shape. Spherical bacteria are called
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Living Things in their Environment (view all)
- Movement in Plants and Animals.
- Australian Ectotherms & Endotherms
- The object of the experiment is to see how maggots respond t...
- Pros and cons of free range chicken farming.
- The importance uses of micro organisms.
- Describe examples of adaptations to the environment shown ...
- Overfishing - The End Of The Line
- To deal with the problem of overpopulation caused by overbre...
- Is eating the best solution to deal with over-breeding speci...
- Where are all the bees?
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.