- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Investigation Into the Osmotic Potential of Potato Cells.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
INVESTIGATION INTO THE OSMOTIC POTENTIAL OF POTATO CELLS.
To find the exact concentration at which there is no net osmosis in potato cells.
Osmosis - the diffusion of water molecules through a partially permeable cell membrane down a water potential gradient.
Osmosis is the main biological idea that will be looked at in this investigation, both how it travels in and out of cells, and the effect this has on the cells. Osmosis occurs mainly when there are two areas containing water molecules at different concentration, it moves from areas of high water molecule concentration to areas of low concentration. It has to occur through a partially permeable membrane, such as a cell membrane, as it allows small molecules through, like water molecules, but not larger ones such a glucose molecules.
In the diagram above the direction in which there is most water flow is from left to right. This means that the net diffusion is in this direction. The reason that it is in this direction is that there are a larger amount of free water molecules on the left-hand side than there are on the right, as the water
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- An experiment to show osmosis in potato chips in different c...
- The effect of temperature on the rate of an enzyme-catalysed...
- Finding out the effect of osmosis on potato chips at differe...
- Investigate the effect of potato on hydrogen peroxide
- Osmosis in Potato Cells
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
- Science Biology Revision Notes - Nutrition in plants and the...
- Osmosis in potato cell lab report
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.