- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Investigation to find out what affect the position of a metal in the reactivity series has on its ability to be displaced.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Johanna Mans 12.2
Enthalpy changes on displacement and the reactivity series
To find out what affect the position of a metal in the reactivity series has on its ability to be displaced.
The reactivity of metals is shown in the reactivity series below.
Potassium Most reactive
Platinum Least reactive
As zinc is higher in the reactivity series than both lead and copper, it will be able to displace them from their compounds.
The closer the metal is to zinc, the harder it will be for zinc to displace, eg, iron would be harder for it to displace than silver. This means that less energy will be produced. Therefore, I predict that lead will be harder to displace, and will therefore have the smaller enthalpy change value.
This acted as the calorimeter, and this is an insulator to ensure that it is not effected by the heat changes in the experiment
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Aqueous Chemistry (view all)
- Investigation of Energy changes in reaction between NaOH and...
- The effetct of copper nitrate on the germination of mustard ...
- An Experiment Into the Thermal Decomposition of Metal Carbon...
- Loneliness, Isolation and Entrapment are central themes in '...
- Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- Precipitation of Salts & Identification of Unknown Solut...
- Separation Of A Mixture of Salt, Sand and Iron Filings
- Decomposing Malachite. Purpose: To test the assumption that...
- How does temperature affect the dissolving rate of a sugar c...
- AIM: To study the effect of solid impurities on boiling poin...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.