- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Mountain Pygmy Possum
The first 200 words of this essay...
Mountain Pygmy Possum (Burramys parvus)
Scientific Name: Burramys parvus
Common Name (s): Mountain Pygmy Possum, Burramys
Brief description of the organism:
o The Mountain Pygmy-possum (Burramys parvus, Broom 1895) is the largest of five species of pygmy-possum in Australia; its other common name is Burramys.
Head-body length: 11 cm
o It is the only Australian mammal restricted to the alpine-subalpine zone above 1400 m; it is restricted to Mountain Plum Pine (Podocarpus lawrencei) heathland growing over rock screes.
o Burramys is a small omnivore weighing about 45 g; the Bogong Moth (Agrotis infusa) is its main food in Victoria.
o It is the longest-lived small terrestrial mammal known. One litter of two, three or four young is born annually in October or November; the young are independent by January. During the non-breeding season, males live outside the female habitat. Burramys hibernates from May to September.
Fossils including location(s) and material (s)
- In 1895
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Living Things in their Environment (view all)
- Investigating the habitat of woodlice.
- DISCUSS THE CONCEPT OF HOMEOSTASIS PARTICULARLY IN RELATION ...
- Deforestation and its effects
- An Investigation into a Woodlice's Preferred Choice of Envir...
- Nutrients in Food Lab Report
- To deal with the problem of overpopulation caused by overbre...
- Is eating the best solution to deal with over-breeding speci...
- Where are all the bees?
- Dissecting an Owl Pellet Lab
- The aim is to record the data growth of Duckweed and see wha...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.