- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
My hypothesis is that the higher the concentration of hydrogen peroxide the more catalase would be catalysed
- Essay length: 3934 words
- Submitted: 11/04/2012
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Biology coursework: Catalase and hydrogen peroxide
My experiment is about the effects of the concentration of hydrogen peroxide used, on the reaction rate (how long it takes for a reaction to happen). My hypothesis is that the higher the concentration of hydrogen peroxide the more catalase would be catalysed (a catalyst is a chemical that speeds up a reaction without being used up itself) in a minute so more oxygen gas produced. This means that the rate of reaction is quicker. This is because in a low concentration of hydrogen peroxide there are many unoccupied active sites so the rate of reaction is low and a smaller amount of products will be formed in a set amount of time. When the concentration of hydrogen peroxide is increased more enzyme-substrate complexes can be formed for the same amount of catalase, increasing the rate of reaction and the products also increase as a result. Increasing the concentration further will have no effect to the rate of reaction because all the active sites will have been occupied and no more enzyme substrate complexes can be formed.
H2O2 + catalase H2O + O2
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- Energy content of foods
- Investigation into the effects of osmosis on Potato cells
- Investigating the effect of Sucrose Concentration on the Rat...
- An experiment to show osmosis in potato chips in different c...
- To what extent does temperature affect the rate of anaerobic...
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
- Science Biology Revision Notes - Nutrition in plants and the...
- Osmosis in potato cell lab report
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.