- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
- Essay length: 8937 words
- Submitted: 11/07/2002
The first 200 words of this essay...
To understand my task, I will first understand the concept of osmosis. Osmosis is the process of water movement from a region of low concentration to a region of high concentration across a semi permeable membrane, which is simply a thin membrane allowing the passage of small molecules. Ex: water molecules.
The solutions of high concentration and low concentration are generally referred to as hypertonic and hypotonic solutions respectively. Hypertonic solutions have less water molecules and thus are said to have lower water potential than hypotonic solutions; in hypertonic solutions, solute molecules (ex: sugar, salts) are dissolved and when this occurs, some water molecules form a cluster around them. Thus, there are less free moving water molecules. Therefore, water potential is simply the measure of whether the solution is likely to gain or lose water; it is also the pressure exerted by the freely moving water molecules. It is measured in kilopascals. (kPa) Therefore, osmosis may also be defined as the water movement from a region of high water potential to a region of low water potential across a semi permeable membrane.
Osmosis is a very important biological process as it involves the transfer
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- Investigation into the effects of osmosis on Potato cells
- Experiment To Investigate The Factors Affecting The Rate Of ...
- Energy content of foods
- Hydrogen peroxide reacting with potato to produce oxygen and...
- Investigating Osmosis Using Potato Cylinders
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
- Science Biology Revision Notes - Nutrition in plants and the...
- Osmosis in potato cell lab report
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.