- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Physics Coursework Investigating Resistance of wires and its relationship to length.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Investigating Resistance of wires.
For my physics coursework I am investigating the resistance of wires. When a metal wire is placed on an electric circuit the voltage from the battery makes the electrons flow through the wire. As they do so, they collide with the metal ions and this process slows down the flow. Resistance is a measure of how easily the electrons can move through the metal, a low resistance means that the electrons can move easily so a high resistance means that the electrons can't move very easily.
Atoms are made up of a positively charged nucleus surrounded by negatively charged electrons. In solids one or two of the outer electrons in each atom are used to form the bonds between atoms that hold the solid together. In a metal these bonding electrons are free to move through the entire solid. These are often referred to as free electrons. An electric current is a flow of charged particles and when a voltage is applied to a metal, the free electrons can flow through the metal. This is shown in the diagram above. This is the basis of my investigation.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Electricity and Magnetism (view all)
- Factors Affecting Resistance of a Wire
- Discover the factors affecting resistance in a conductor.
- Investigating The Characteristics Of A Filament Lamp
- p5 investigation cwk- resistance of a lightbulb
- An Inspector Calls - Select one member of the Birling family...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.