- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Preparation of Salts.
The first 200 words of this essay...
PREPARATION OF SALTS
1. INSOLUBLE SALTS
Soluble salt 1(aq) + soluble salt 2(aq) insoluble salt + soluble salt (aq)
acid 1(aq) acid 2(aq)
Pb(NO3)2(aq) + Na2SO4(g) PbSO4(s) + 2NaNO3(aq)
Pb2+(aq) + SO2-4(aq) PbSO4
To prepare a salt, you should firstly thoroughly mix the solution, then you should filter it to remove any precipitate. Next, you should, wash with distilled water and finally leave to dry in the oven.
2. SOLUBLE SALTS
i. acid + base salt + water
H2SO4(aq) + CuO(s) CuSO4(aq) + H2O(l)
H2SO4(aq) + Mg(OH)2(s) MgSO4(aq) + H2O(l)
ii. acid + insoluble metal carbonate salt + water + carbon dioxide
H2SO4(aq) + CuCO3(s) CuSO4(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(g)
iii. acid + reaction metal salt + hydrogen
H2SO4(aq) + Mg(s) MgSO4(aq) + H2(g)
The base or the metal carbonate must be insoluble so that we can remove the excess through the method of filtration. The metals that we can use must react with acids but must not react with water as this would contaminate the salt with metal hydroxide. The metals that we can use are:
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Aqueous Chemistry (view all)
- Conductivity Lab. Purpose: To determine which substances a...
- Titration - The aim of this experiment is to determine the v...
- pH Lab Report - testing household liquids
- What factors affect the rate pf reaction between sodium thio...
- Determination of the equilibrium constant for esterification...
- Precipitation of Salts & Identification of Unknown Solut...
- Separation Of A Mixture of Salt, Sand and Iron Filings
- Decomposing Malachite. Purpose: To test the assumption that...
- How does temperature affect the dissolving rate of a sugar c...
- AIM: To study the effect of solid impurities on boiling poin...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.