- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Qualitative AnalysisCalcium chlorideLead nitrateCopper sulphatePotassium sulphateIron chlorideSodium carbonate
The first 200 words of this essay...
In qualitative analysis you test for the substances present but do not attempt to find out the amounts. The first step is to obtain pure samples of the substances to be tested. This involves the separation of the components on mixtures by a physical method.
There are quite a few methods:
* Evaporation or distillation may be used to remove unwanted liquids from solids or to obtain a pure liquid from one that is contaminated by dissolved solids.
* Fractional distillation may be used to separate pure liquids from mixtures
* Chromatography may be used to obtain pure solids from solutions containing a number of dissolved solids.
There are a number of tests that are carried out on pure substances:
* Initial observations
* Flame tests
* Tests on solutions for presence of ions: Positively charged ions are identified by reacting solutions with alkaline solutions. Negatively charged ions are detected in solution by specific tests.
In this practical, I have to detect the presence of the following positively charged ions:
Na+, K+,Ca2+, Cu2+, Pb2+,Fe3+
And the following negatively charged ions:
All of the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Aqueous Chemistry (view all)
- CalciumCarbonate + Hydrochloric Acid —> Calcium ...
- Science Investigation Report - Aim To investigate how the v...
- An Investigation into the Heat of Neutralisation
- Investigating the effects of varying pH levels on the germin...
- Chemical and Physical Properties of Baking Soda and Chalk.
- Precipitation of Salts & Identification of Unknown Solut...
- Separation Of A Mixture of Salt, Sand and Iron Filings
- Decomposing Malachite. Purpose: To test the assumption that...
- How does temperature affect the dissolving rate of a sugar c...
- AIM: To study the effect of solid impurities on boiling poin...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.