- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Rates of Reaction - Magnesium Strips and Hydrochloric Acid.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Rates of Reaction: Magnesium Strips and Hydrochloric Acid
Rates of reaction occur when two chemicals bond. The chemical bonds can be either very strong or very weak.
I expect that when I add magnesium to the hydrochloric acid that depending on the amount of hydrochloric acid that the acid will eventually dissolve the magnesium and consequently produce hydrogen gas. All chemical reactions involve reactants. When these reactants are mixed together they cause a chemical reaction to occur which will make products. The reactants that I will use are hydrochloric acid and magnesium. I predict that the chemical reaction will take place as soon as the magnesium is dropped into the hydrochloric acid. Magnesium chloride and hydrogen gas are the products formed during this reaction. The formula equation for this experiment is:
Magnesium + Hydrochloric acid = Magnesium Chloride + Hydrogen
Mg + 2HCl = MgCl2 + H2
The reason that the magnesium reacts with hydrochloric acid is because the magnesium is rather a reactive substance as it is high in the reactivity series. When the chemicals react a displacement reaction takes place. The magnesium displaces the hydrogen in the hydrochloric acid
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- Rate of Reaction Chemistry Coursework
- Investigation of the rate of reaction between Magnesium and ...
- Formula of Magnesium Oxide
- Rates of Reaction- Hydrolysis of Urea by Urease
- Rusting Lab. Hypothesis: I think that the presence of salt ...
- Experiment Plan. How much energy is transferred as heat whe...
- How does the concentration of HCl affect the rate of reacti...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate...
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.