- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Rates of reactions between HCL and magnesium ribbon.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Rates of reactions between HCL and magnesium ribbon
I plan to investigate the effect of concentration of acid, in the reaction between dilute hydrochloric acid and magnesium ribbon. The rate of a chemical reaction is a measure of how fast the reaction takes place. It is important to know that a rapid reaction is completed in a short period of time. Some reactions are very fast, for example; the formation of silver chloride precipitates when silver nitrate and hydrochloric acid solutions are mixed. In this investigation I will test different concentrations of acid reacting with magnesium.
My prediction is that as the concentration of the hydrochloric acid increases, the time taken for the magnesium to disappear decreases. I predict that when the concentration of the hydrochloric acid doubles, the rate of the reaction doubles.
Linking prediction to theory
Reaction rate and concentration.
The collision theory describes how the rate of reaction increases (the time taken for the magnesium ribbon to disappear when it is reacted with hydrochloric acid) when the concentration of HCL increases. As the reaction continues, the concentration of the reacting substances decreases and so does the rate
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- Investigation of the rate of reaction between Magnesium and ...
- Chemistry Rate of Reaction Coursework for Calcium Carbonate ...
- Rate of Reaction Chemistry Coursework
- Formula of Magnesium Oxide
- Rates of Reaction- Hydrolysis of Urea by Urease
- Experiment Plan. How much energy is transferred as heat whe...
- How does the concentration of HCl affect the rate of reacti...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate...
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.