- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Resistance in a Wire Investigation
- Essay length: 8145 words
- Submitted: 11/07/2002
The first 200 words of this essay...
Resistance is a force which opposes the flow of an electric current around a circuit so that energy is required to push the charged particles around the circuit. The circuit itself can resist the flow of particles if the wires are either very thin or very long. e.g. The filament across an electric bulb is quite thin as needs to resist the flow of particles for the bulb to glow.
Resistance is measured in ohms.
George Ohm discovered that the emf of a circuit is directly proportional to the current flowing through the circuit. This means that if you triple one, you triple the other. He also discovered that a circuit sometimes resists the flow of electricity. He called this resistance. He then came up with a rule for working out the resistance of a circuit :
V/I = R
V - Volts
I - Current
R - Resistance.
Extra Background Information :
The total resistance of resistors in series is the sum of the resistance of each one. Each cm of wire has a particular resistance, if you double
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Electricity and Magnetism (view all)
- The aim of my experiment is to see how the resistance of a f...
- p5 investigation cwk- resistance of a lightbulb
- Molecular stability (rheology) of a plastic carrier bag thro...
- An investigation of the factors affecting the output of a tr...
- The resistance of wire.
- Resistance of a Wire - Triple Science
- Physics Project Maglev Trains
- Static Electricity.
- Resistance of a wire coursework
- Aim: I am going to carry out an investigation to find how th...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.