- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Science Investigation Report - Aim To investigate how the voltage of the electric current would affect the rate at which a metal is electroplated.
The first 200 words of this essay...
SSIS GCSE Programme
Science Investigation Report
Name: Kimberly Hoong Yearn Yi
Class: S4 Ruby
To investigate how the voltage of the electric current would affect the rate at which a metal is electroplated.
If the voltage of the current supplied for electroplating is increased, then the mass of the copper metal deposited on the paper clip would also increase.
In electroplating, the anode is the copper metal piece and the cathode is the paper clip. The electrons travel from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, hence allowing the paper clip in the negative terminal to be electroplated. When plating the paper clip with copper, the copper metal piece undergoes oxidation while the cathode undergoes reduction, where:
Anode (Copper Metal Piece): Cu(s) --> Cu2+(aq) + 2e-
Cathode (Paper Clip): Cu2+(aq) + 2e- -->Cu(s)
This happens through the flow of electrons in the circuit. When time taken for electroplating to occur is kept constant, the rate of electroplating would depend on the voltage of the electric current. From this formula:
Q = It
(Charge = Current x Time)
If the time remains constant,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Aqueous Chemistry (view all)
- To investigate the factors affecting neutralisation.
- Ending for 'Samphire' by Patrick O'brien.
- Chemical and Physical Properties of Baking Soda and Chalk.
- Organic compound identification.
- The aim of this experiment is to answer the following questi...
- Precipitation of Salts & Identification of Unknown Solut...
- Separation Of A Mixture of Salt, Sand and Iron Filings
- Decomposing Malachite. Purpose: To test the assumption that...
- How does temperature affect the dissolving rate of a sugar c...
- AIM: To study the effect of solid impurities on boiling poin...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.