- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
"The increase in human population to a present day level of over six billion is having an impact on the biosphere that is greater than ever before". The vast amount of impact is greatly due to three major activities including agriculture, industrialization, and urbanisation. Agriculture being one of the major activities contributing to the impact on the biosphere, is the clearing of natural habitat, which most of our ancestors did when they settled in Australia, and consequently without the knowledge of the side effects of clearing forests, cultivating the soil, repeatedly harvesting crops, as well as today's humans who still continue, can lead to dryland salinity and soil erosion, which both accordingly lead to land degradation. Although the seriousness of the agriculture is getting worse, it can be combated.
Humans have been obliterating forests all over the world for reasons like, timber, firewood, settlement and agricultural purposes. The benefit for agriculture is almost pointless because the soil in tropical rainforests is of poor nutrients, although the land often becomes productive after a couple of years after the clearing but when there is a limited supply of nutrients in the soil, which is rapidly used up, the crop just declines.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Living Things in their Environment (view all)
- Heat loss from animals
- Explain the factors that affect the distribution of plant an...
- An Investigation into a Woodlice's Preferred Choice of Envir...
- Measurement of the vitamin C content of fruit juices
- A2 Biology Coursework -Investigation into the effect of diff...
- To deal with the problem of overpopulation caused by overbre...
- Is eating the best solution to deal with over-breeding speci...
- Where are all the bees?
- Dissecting an Owl Pellet Lab
- The aim is to record the data growth of Duckweed and see wha...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.