- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Aim: To find out where stomata is mostly found in a leaf; in the lower epidermis or the upper epidermis.
Stomata: Each stomata is a tiny opening in the leaf that can be opened and closed by two guard cells. Stomata allow gases to pass in and out of a leaf. When stomata are open carbon dioxide for photosynthesis can enter and oxygen can leave however water vapour can also diffuse out of the leaf.
Hypothesis: I predict their will be more stomata at the lower epidermis because from previous knowledge I know water transpiration occurs fastest at hot, dry, windy conditions. Therefore at the lower epidermis there will be more protection against these conditions so less water will be lost.
However for more carbon dioxide diffusion the stomata may be on both sides to gain more in order for the plant to photosynthesise to make more glucose. Although, carbon dioxide diffusion won't be affected if the majority of stomata are on the lower epidermis of the leaf and therefore I predict there will be a lot more stomata on the lower epidermis of the leaf.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Green Plants as Organisms (view all)
- What affect does the length of cooking time have on the vita...
- Investigating the rate of cooling water in a beaker.
- How does temperature affect the permeability of a cell membr...
- Biology lab - transpiration
- Investigate which surface of a leaf loses more water by tran...
- Write a review of GM Crops for a newsletter, 500 words limit...
- Factors Affecting Seed Germination Lab - the effect of light
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of cloning plants?
- Osmosis investigation. My prediction is that as the concent...
- Which seed will germinate faster a corn or bean in tap water...
- Biology CourseworkTo determine if the distribution of flora ...
- The roles water in living organisms and water as a habitat f...
- Investigating Factors Affecting the Rate of Photosynthesis.
- An investigation into the effect of light intensity on the r...
- How the molar concentration of NaHCO3 (Sodium Hydrogen Carbo...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.