- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Testing a leaf for starch experiment
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Title: Testing a leaf for starch
Date: February 20, 2012
Aim: To investigate the presence of starch in leaves.
Materials: 2 small leaves (one green, one yellow), beaker, test-tube, ethanol, water, iodine solution, Petri dish, forceps, tripod, wire gauze, dropper, boiling tube.
Two leaves were taken from a dicotyledonous plant, one with a fresh green color and the other with a pale yellow color. The green leaf was first immersed in boiling water for roughly 10 seconds. The leaf was removed and placed in a test-tube which was about one-third filled with ethanol and the test-tube was placed into the water bath. The leaf was boilt until became colorless and was then removed and rinsed with waster. The leaf was then placed in the Petri dish and a little iodine solution was porn unto it, it was then left alone for a few minutes. The iodine solution was then pourn off and the leaf was again rinsed in water. The reaction was observed and the process was repeated for the yellow leaf.
The green leaf left a green solution in the ethanol while the yellow leaf left
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Green Plants as Organisms (view all)
- What affect does the length of cooking time have on the vita...
- Investigation to find does light intensity affect the stomat...
- Stomata experiment
- Biology lab - transpiration
- SWOT and PEST Analysis for Bottled Water.
- Write a review of GM Crops for a newsletter, 500 words limit...
- Factors Affecting Seed Germination Lab - the effect of light
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of cloning plants?
- Osmosis investigation. My prediction is that as the concent...
- Which seed will germinate faster a corn or bean in tap water...
- Biology CourseworkTo determine if the distribution of flora ...
- The roles water in living organisms and water as a habitat f...
- Investigating Factors Affecting the Rate of Photosynthesis.
- An investigation into the effect of light intensity on the r...
- How the molar concentration of NaHCO3 (Sodium Hydrogen Carbo...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.