- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Combustion of Alcohols
- Essay length: 3396 words
- Submitted: 11/07/2002
The first 200 words of this essay...
GCSE Chemistry Coursework
The Combustion of
My aim in this is experiment is to see how good a fuel alcohol is.
Combustion is the rapid chemical reaction between substances that is usually accompanied by generation of heat and light in the form of flame. In most cases, oxygen comprises one of the reactants. Other physical phenomena that sometimes occur during combustion reactions are explosion and detonation. Combustion, one of the most important classes of chemical reaction, is often considered a climax phenomenon in the oxidation of certain types of substances. Although most flames have regions where reduction reactions are important, combustion is primarily the combining of combustible material with oxygen.
Chemical and physical aspects)
The chemical processes in combustion are most commonly initiated by such factors as heat, light, and sparks. As the combustible materials achieve the ignition temperature specific to the materials and the ambient pressure, the combustion reaction begins. The combustion spreads from the ignition source to the adjacent layer of gas mixture; in turn, each point of the burning layer serves as an ignition source for the next adjacent layer, and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Organic Chemistry (view all)
- What an ester is, how it is made, examples of esters, animal...
- Heat Energy Experiment Aim: To measure the heat energy rel...
- Alcohol Combustion Experiment Evaluation
- Hydrolysis of an Ester
- The Combustion of Alcohols and the factors affecting these r...
- Formation of Aspirin
- Vitamin C Investigation.
- Fertilisers are substances that supply plant nutrients or co...
- Compare and Contrast the properties and reactions of Butane ...
- GCSE Chemistry Revision Notes - everything!
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.