• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

The determination of the Ar of Lithium.

Extracts from this document...

Introduction

Chris Ellison The determination of the Ar of Lithium. The mass of Lithium that I used was 0.10g. Results In the first experiment I collected 186cm3 of hydrogen. Titration Attempt Result 1st 41.5cm3 2nd 35cm3 3rd 34.5cm3 Average 34.75cm3 The first result was anomalous so I did not include this in the average. Analysis The First Experiment 2Li(s) + 2H2O(g) ? 2LiOH(aq) + H2(g) In the first experiment there were 0.00775 moles of Hydrogen. Number of moles = Volume 24000 186cm3 =0.00775 moles 24000 There were 0.0155 moles of Lithium. Moles of Hydrogen x 2 = Moles of Lithium 0.00775 x 2 = 0.0155 moles of Lithium From this I can deduce that the Ar of Lithium in this experiment was 6.452 (Actual Ar of Lithium is 6.941) ...read more.

Middle

Present. Number of Moles = Moles Present in Solution Concentration 0.0139 = 0.139 moles 0.1 Using these results I can calculate that the Ar of Lithium in this experiment was 7.194 (Actual Ar of Lithium is 6.941) Mass = Ar Number of moles 0.10g = 7.194 0.0139 Evaluation The experiment was simple enough to carry out in school, but was not suitable for a proper scientific experiment needing precise results. My first attempt at titration produced an anomalous result. I chose to exclude this result from my average because it was a rough attempt to get an idea how much Hydrochloric Acid was needed to neutralise the Lithium Oxide. ...read more.

Conclusion

The measuring cylinder is not exact so the amount of gas produced could be slightly more or less than recorded. Using a 250cm3 gas syringe would allow me to record results with much greater accuracy. When the Lithium in the first experiment oxidised the results may not have been accurate, this is because when I weighed my Lithium the scale may have been wrong. Vibrations through the table my have changed the reading. The Lithium may have also been partially oxidised because only the side of the Lithium that has been cut will be fresh. Next time I would make sure that all the sides have been freshly cut and use a very accurate scale in another room to cut down on vibrations. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Aqueous Chemistry section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related GCSE Aqueous Chemistry essays

  1. The Determination of an Equilibrium Constant.

    mixtures and the surroundings thus have influenced the results; * The density of the hydrochloric acid added to each mixture has been assumed to be the same as water (which is 1g/cm3), which means that the presence of hydrogen chloride is ignored; * Personal inaccuracy might have occurred during: 1.

  2. Determination of the relative atomic mass of lithium.

    Plus make sure that it is not left lying around to collect dust and become dirty. In this experiment, I believe that there could have been another error. The main sources of error, in my opinion, must be human and equipment error.

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work